I've been testing the Wolverine F2D Mighty Film to Digital Converter ($129), and I'm very impressed with both its quality and value. See the following sample scan I made today.
The device is easy to use. Insert an SD card into the F2D's open slot, choose the appropriate film adapter, power up, insert the film strip, and scan. A high resolution 5472 x 3648 Jpeg (20 MPs) is saved to the SD card (or internal memory if you wish) where you can transfer it to a Mac or PC. You can also plug the device directly into your computer via the supplied cable.
I loaded my files into Capture One Pro for further inspection and for clean up. They were lovely indeed. The default color was a bit on the bluish side, but I created a Style that corrected the temp automatically on import. Most importantly, the images were crisp with lots of detail.
It's also very compact. The F2D stands only 6" tall and has a 4" wide footprint. So it fits easily on any desk. Its basic specs are:
- Converts 7 types of film into Digital in seconds. Converter of Slides & Negatives into digital JPEG’s for 35mm, 127, 126KPK, and 110.
- Take JPEG snapshots from your 8mm and Super 8 Reels and recompile them into a video. Unique Speed-Load adapters for fast loading of slides and negatives.
- Standalone; no computer required. Save images to internal memory (holds up to 40 images) or to optional SD/SDHC cards.
- 2.4" Color screen. TV-Out jack to view images on TV (cable not included).
- Brightness and color; auto and manual adjustments. Compatible with all Windows and Mac Operating Systems.
In all honesty, scanning negatives has never been this fun. And the quality is easily good enough for just about any common use, including printing. Highly recommended!